Sunday, April 11, 2010

Bisquick Chicken

Dear 6 Friends,

I am back! Thanks for your calls, I am sorry I didn't know how to blog away from my own little Apple Computer. We had a great time with my Dad in Arizona. He is the best, the weather was great, it was so much fun to visit with all the family and I read the 5th book of Fablehaven. Life can't get better than that.

Here is one of my Mom's most classic recipes, Bisquick Chicken. I loved it back then and I still do now. I made it one night for my Dad, so here is what you need::



Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.

Cut up your chicken. I take a hole chicken breast and cut it into thirds. It makes nice even sized chunks that my kids like better that the whole breast. Let's me honest here, Gregg does too.




Get your box of Bisquick and search for the recipe somewhere on it. They like to move it around. One time they didn't even have it on the box! I called them up and had a chat with the head Bisquick people about that too, it was very serious. Next time I bought a box, the recipe was back on the box and the world was aligned correctly again.



Put your Bisquick, paprika, salt and pepper into a gal. zip-loc baggie.



Mix it all up until blended like this:



Add your chicken chunks and shake them up until they are all coated with the yummy Bisquick mixture. (I used to always do this for my Mom, it was my favorite job, shaking around chicken.)



Put your butter in the pan, then place it in the oven for a few minutes, just until it is melted, not burned! Many a times I have forgotten it in the oven, try to learn from me.



See the nice melted butter. My Mom used to use oil but I like butter, you choose.



My Mom would dip one side in the butter, then turn it over and dip the other side, like this:






Put it in the oven for 35 to 45 min. Don't pack your pieces too tight or they won't get crunchy and brown and that will be sad. Leave them some room to crisp up and bake.

Ta Daaa . . . . Bisquick Chicken.



My funny story: When I made this for my Dad, we sat down to eat and Livy took a bite of her chicken and said, "This is really spicy!". I took a bite and sure enough, it was spicy. I had put chili powder in the mixture instead of Paprika! It was still good but just a bit more spicy. So, read the labels or go for the element of surprise like me.

The original recipe has lots of variation you can try. My Mom swore by using the full amount of salt. I admit hers did taste really good but I just can't put that much salt in anything, I usually only use 1/2 the amount salt or less in most recipes. Call me and I'll give you my dissertation on how bad salt is for your body.

Bisquick Oven Baked Chicken

1 T. butter (I used about 4 T.)
2/3 c. Original Bisquick mix
1/2 t. paprika
1 t. salt or garlic salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 cut-up whole chicken (3 - 3 1/2 lb.)

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Melt butter in 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish in oven.

Stir together Bisquick mix, paprika, salt and pepper. Coat chicken. Place skin side down in heated pan.

Bake 35 min. Turn chicken, bake about 15 min. longer until juice of chicken is clear.

( I never turn my chicken, I just can't remember to do that. It all turns out good though.)

1 comment: