Thursday, October 21, 2010

Pork Chops and Homemade Applesauce

My Mom used to love to make pork chops and homemade applesauce for dinner. It was yummy! So, since it is apple season, throw a bunch of apples (check which ones are best for baking at the store) into a pot, add some water and let it simmer down.


Just keep it simmering, add more water if necessary, stir and smash the apples as they cook, so easy and yummy. When it is done you can add cinnamon or a little sugar if you like it sweet. If you are in need of a real recipe, look up trustworthy Betty Crocker. The finished product:



My Mom would cook the pork chops in the broiler, there was often some good burned ones for dinner. I like to barbecue them. I also like the ones that have some bone in them, they cook easier, they are more tender and have more flavor, to me at least.


Then I love garlic potatoes, I do, I love them. I like to use the cute little red potatoes because you don't have to peel them, I don't like peeling, not at all.



Boil them until they are soft, smash them, add butter, whipping cream, Parmesan cheese, and lots of garlic . . . yummy!



Then I made my most favorite new bread, called, "The Bread" by The Pioneer Woman. So, good, I ate half the loaf. Gregg made me stop, it was serious.




If you want to see her pictures go to: www.thepioneerwoman.com, here is the recipe:

Recipe: The Bread
Prep Time: 5 Minutes | Cook Time: 15 Minutes | Difficulty: Easy | Servings: 12

Ingredients
1 loaf French Bread, Split Lengthwise
2 sticks Regular (salted) Butter, Softened
Preparation Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spread one stick of softened butter on each half of the loaf.
Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes, or until butter is melted and starting to soak into the bread.
Crank on broiler and broil bread for 3 to 5 minutes, watching the whole time. Remove when butter has started to brown and blacken. Don’t under-broil it! The flavor really kicks in when the butter’s color changes.
Slice into strips and serve immediately.

Have Fun!
jpt

1 comment: