Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Fried Chicken

This is probably Gregg's favorite dinner in the world. This recipe comes from my 1983 Betty Crocker cookbook. Gregg and I made it together when we were first married and have been making it ever since. Over the years the recipe has evolved into this:



First put about 1/2 c. flour, then dump Lawry's, Garlic Salt, Morton's Natural Seasoning and lots of pepper in a bowl. It is probably at least 2 t. or 1 T. of each. Except for the pepper, maybe only 1 t. Then mix it all together.



I cut my chicken breasts into 3 pieces and I try to keep them uniform in size, for easier cooking.



Coat them in the flour.

I fill the bottom of my skillet with oil and get it pretty hot but not super hot!



When I put the chicken in, I know it is the right temperature because I can hear the meat make a nice soft sizzles as it hits the pan and it starts bubbling on the edges of the chicken. (If your oil is too hot, it will start to burn the outside of your chicken too fast and the middle won't get done, so you want it hot but too hot, comprende?)

I keep the heat on about Medium and cook the chicken until it is slightly brown on both sides. It takes about 10 minutes, maybe a bit more on each side. I really go by color, so it should look like this:



Once both sides are a tiny bit brown, I put the lid on the pan, turn the heat to simmer (make sure it is hot enough that it is still cooking in there, sometimes it is a little higher). I leave the chicken covered to cook it thoroughly for at least 20 min.



Then I open my pan up and hopefully my chicken looks nice and brown. Then I turn the heat up a tiny bit and let it brown a little bit more. Sometimes I turn the chicken over and let the other side brown more if I need too.



Tonight I was in a hurry to get Gregg some dinner and make it to a fireside; so I got it all done in 40 min., which is about right.

The kids and Gregg at the whole pan! Finger Lick'n good.

xo,
Janette

No comments:

Post a Comment