Thursday, March 18, 2010

Salisbury Steak Deluxe

This is a recipe from the old days in Phoenix. My Mom and her friends used to make this for RS dinners, ward and stake dinners. They loved it, my Dad loved and my kids have loved it. Back in the old days when I would drive every day, all day; I could come home and throw this together in less than an hour . . . fast and easy was my game. Also, some of the ingredients sound kind of nasty, to me at least, but once you cook them all together, it becomes a really good flavor. Here you go:

First you make the sauce:



Put the soup, yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce and horseradish in a bowl and mix it up.

Then in another bowl put in:



hamburger, an egg slightly beaten, bread crumbs, chopped onion (my mom always used dried and so I do too, it actually blends in better and my kids liked it better), salt, pepper, 1/4 c. of the above soup mixture, potato pearls (Mom said this helps hold the little burgers together).

Then mix it all up with, yes, your hands. My girls won't mix raw hamburger, they have turned into massive germaphobes!

Now get out your 1980's electric skillet, mine was a wedding gift. Lovely isn't it! My Mom always cooked them in an electric skillet, I bet you young girls don't even have one. In that case, cook the little burgers in a nonstick skillet.



Make your hamburger mixture into nice cute little patties. I usually turn the skillet on, and just start putting the hamburgers in as I make them. This time I made them ahead because I had to drive Livy somewhere and I had the time. Flexibility is my middle name.





Brown the patties a lot, not burn just brown. See my nice photo:



While patties are browning, add to your bowl of soup: water and parsley and blend it up.

Once patties are all nice and brown, pour your soup mixture over the top, cover your patties, turn them on low and let them simmer for 20 - 30 min.

The before 30 min. photo:



The after 30 min. photo, see how nice and golden brown the gravy and patties are:



Dinner is ready!
Gregg and the kids love mashed potatoes with the yummy gravy and patties. Livy has always preferred the instant potato pears too. Isn't that funny!

Have fun,

xo,
Janette

Salisbury Steak Deluxe

1 1/2 cans condensed Golden Mushroom Soup
2 t. yellow mustard
2 t. Worcestershire sauce
1 t. horseradish
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 c. dry bread crumbs
1/4 c. instant potato pearls
1/4 c. finely chopped onion, I just throw in some dried onion about 2 T
1/2 t. salt
dash pepper
1/2 c. water
2 T. chopped parsley, once again I used dried

Blend soup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and horseradish. Combine beef, 1/4 c. soup mixture, egg, bread crumbs, instant potatoes, onion and seasonings. Shape into patties.

In skillet, brown patties. Blend water and parsley into the soup mixtures. Pour over patties. Cover, cook on low heat 20 - 30 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I am not a germaphobe! i believe hannah and jessica would tie for that title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you area correct, Emma L., so sorry to lump you in with the other girls. Livy is a hugie germaphobe but she is cute.

    ReplyDelete