Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sloppy Joe's ala Lynda

My good friend Lynda Dyer gave me this recipe. We used to make it for the missionaries zone luncheons and let me tell you, the missionaries, loved it, they loved us. I had a brief memory lapse and forgot to make it the way Lynda did; so I will explain to you at the end. The ingredients are:



See those little Oro Wheat buns up there on the right? They aren't really buns, thin slices of something I didn't like. Don't buy those, stick to good old Ralph's brand buns.

Brown your hamburger, throw in the onions and cook them until clear.



Add everything else and blend it all together.



Here is where my memory lapsed, At this point we used to put it on the Crock pot at this point on low for 1 or 2 hours because we were setting up for the lunch. So, last night I just cooked it on the stove for 30 min., and it wasn't the same. Here is what mine looked like, so sad but I didn't tell "the people", they ate it anyways! Ha!



Here is a sloppy Joe on the sad little spongy bread that is supposed to be some sort of bun, not true! I LOVE cheese on it though!



So, if you put it in the Crock pot for a bit, it breaks down the meat and sauces a bit more; giving it a better flavor and texture. I highly recommend doing that. You could even make this in the morning, then put it in the crock pot a few hours before you want to eat! Super!

xo,
Janette

Lynda's Sloppy Joe's

1 lb. ground beef
medium onion, chopped
3/4 c. barbecue sauce
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
6 oz. tomato paste
2/3 c. water.

Brown ground beef, add onion. Add rest of ingredients. Cook in Crockpot on low for 1 - 2 hours or have a memory lapse like me and cook it in the skillet for 30 min., and it is tastes more like chili with barbecue sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment